Central Venous Catheters for Dialysis (CVCDs)
Catheter Related Bloodstream Infection (CRBSI)
Stephen R. Ash, M.D., F.A.C.P.
- Born September 22, 1945, Kansas City, MO
- Married, 2 children
- Chairman of the Board of Directors and Director of R&D, Ash Access Technology, Inc., Lafayette, Indiana
- Chairman of the Board of Directors and Director of R&D
HemoCleanse, Inc., Lafayette, Indiana
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Clinical Associate, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Nephrology Department, Indiana University Health Arnett, Lafayette
- Director of In-Center Dialysis, Indiana University Health Arnett, Lafayette
As Chairman of the Board, presides over all Board of Directors meetings.
As Director of R&D, provides leadership and direction to all R&D activities and teams, invents breakthroughs, secures and maintains patents. Serves as monitor and investigator in clinical trials of devices. Principal contact for FDA, patent office, and NIH matters.
As Co-Founder of numerous spin-off companies Dr. Ash also consulted and advised at: Renal Solutions, Inc. of Warrendale PA (acquired by Fresenius Medical Care), ZS Pharma of Fort Worth TX (acquired by AstraZeneca for $2.7B), Zurex Pharma and Zurex Pharmagra of Middleton WI.
As Nephrologist at IU Health Arnett provides consultation and patient care for outpatients and hospitalized patients
At Purdue University and Indiana University teaches courses for engineers and visiting physicians and assists in education within the Lafayette Center for Medical Education of physicians and medical students of the IUMC Extension at Purdue University.
- Co-Founder of American Society for Diagnostic and Interventional Nephrology in 2001, President 2003
- Editor-in-Chief of the ASDIN portion of Seminars in Dialysis 2004-present
- President, American Society for Artificial Internal Organs, 2005-2006
- Secretary-Treasurer of the International Federation for Artificial Organs (IFAO), 2008-2011
- Board Member of the International Society for Apheresis 2004-2010
- Member of ASN, ISPD, ISHD, ASDIN, ASAIO, ISMA, IFAO
B.A., Physics, 1967, Northwestern University
M.D., Medicine, 1971, Kansas University Medical School
Postdoctoral Fellow, Physiology, 1972-73, Indiana University Medical School
Residency in Internal Medicine, 1971-74, Indiana University Medical School
Fellowship in Nephrology, 1974-75, Indiana University Medical School
|Director of Dialysis, Wellbound of Lafayette home dialysis program, then Indiana University Health Arnett, Acute Dialysis Services, Lafayette, Indiana
||Nephrologist, Indiana University Health Arnett (multi-specialty clinic with 250 physicians and practitioners) Lafayette, Indiana
||Director of Dialysis Services, Franciscan St. Elizabeth Health, Lafayette, Indiana
||Director of Hemodialysis Laboratory, Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
||Adjunct Associate Professor of Comparative Medicine, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
||Chairman of the Board and Director of Research & Development, Ash Access Technology, Inc. (formerly Ash Medical Systems, Inc.), Lafayette, Indiana
||Chairman of the Board and Director of Research & Development, HemoCleanse, Inc., Lafayette, Indiana
||Co-Founder and then Medical Advisory Board Member, Renal Soultions, Inc, Warrendale, Pennsylvania
||Co-Founder and then Consultant, ZS Pharma, Coppell, Texas
Ash Access Technology, Inc.was formed to design and produce devices and lock solutions to improve central venous dialysis access and diminish complications of these devices.
HemoCleanse, Inc. was established to manufacture and market sorbent-based devices for the treatment of kidney failure, liver failure and drug overdose, and serves as the current R&D site for numerous spin-off companies.
Renal Solutions, Inc. was a spin-off from HemoCleanse in 2000 to build a sorbent-based dialysis system suitable for home dialysis, and is now a division of Fresenius Medical Care, Inc.
ZS Pharma, Inc. was formed to commercialize an oral sorbent (ZS-9) for treatment of hyperkalemia, which was developed in 30 years of collaboration between Dr. Ash and Union Carbide, then UOP, Inc. Dr. Ash gave the first oral presentation regarding the success of this product in 2013, and is first author of a 2015 publication in Kidney International. ZS Pharma was acquired by AstraZeneca in 2015 for $2.7 Billion USD.
Affiliations and Honors
||Lifetime Achievement Award in Hemodialysis, Annual Dialysis Conference
||Award for Excellence, National Kidney Foundation of Indiana
||Board Member, then Secretary Treasurer of the International Federation of Artificial Organs
||President of American Society for Artificial Internal Organs (ASAIO) 2005. Program Chairman 2003; Secretary/Treasurer 2004.
||Founding Member and Editor in Chief: American Society of Diagnostic and Interventional Nephrology (President in 2003)
||Member, Board of Directors: International Society for Apheresis
||Arnett Achievement Award from Indiana University Health Arnett (First Recipient)
||Lifetime Achievement Award, ASDIN
||Fellow of American College of Physicians
||Board Certification in Nephrology, American Board of Internal Medicine
||Board Certification in Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
||Alpha Omega Alpha and William Bailey Award for Research in Pathology, University of Kansas
Stephen R. Ash, M.D.: U.S. Patents and Foreign Patents (partial list)
- U.S. Patent 8029457 “INDWELLING CATHETER WITH ANTI-CLOTTING FEATURES” by SR Ash, etal, Assignee: AAT Catheter Technologies, LLC, grant notification May 27, 2011.
- U.S. Patent No. 7947179 “Dialysis system” by BP Rosenbaum, SR Ash, et al. Issued May 24, 2011
- U.S. Patent No. 7,749,529 “A CATHETER LOCK SOLUTION COMPRISING CITRATE AND A PARABEN” by SR Ash, etal, Assignee: Ash Access Technology, Inc., July 6, 2010. Nationalized and issued in 23 EP countries December 30, 2009 and pending in Japan, Australia, Brazil and Canada.
- U.S. Divisional Patent Application 12/792,286 “A CATHETER LOCK SOLUTION COMPRISING CITRATE AND A PARABEN” SR Ash filed June 2, 2010.
- Foreign Patent “A CATHETER LOCK SOLUTION INCLUDING A PHOTO-OXIDANT” by SR Ash, Assignee: Ash Access Technology, Inc., issued in 15 EP countries May 7, 2008 and pending in Japan.
- U.S. Patent No. 6,958,049 “METHOD OF ENHANCING CATHETER PATENCY USING A CITRATE SALT CATHETER LOCK SOLUTION” by SR Ash, Assignee: Ash Access Technology, Inc., October 25, 2005. Nationalized and issued in 16 EP countries October 11, 2006.
- U.S. Patent US20080177216.DEVICES AND METHODS FOR BODY FLUID FLOW CONTROL IN EXTRACORPOREAL FLUID TREATMENT.” By SR Ash et. al. Filed Sep 24, 2007
- US Patent US20070161113. “Ammonia sensor and system for use”. SR Ash et. al. Filed May 31, 2006
- US Patent US2007016194. “On demand and post-treatment delivery of saline to a dialysis patient. SR Ash et. al. Filed May 31, 2006
- US Patent No. 7776210. “Dialysis system” BP Rosenbaum, SR Ash et. al. Filed Jun 9, 2005
- U.S. Patent No. 6,264,680. “APPARATUSES AND PROCESSES FOR WHOLE-BODY HYPERTHERMIA” by SR Ash, Assignee: ViaCirQ, Inc., July 24, 2001.
- U.S. Patent No. 6,348,162 “Starting dialysate composition for use as an initial dialysate” By SR Ash
- US Patent No. 7169303. “Sorbent reactor for extracorporeal blood treatment systems, Peritoneal Dialysis Systems and Other Body Fluid Treatment Systems. TA Sullivan, SR Ash, et.al. Issued Jan 30, 2007
- US Patent US20040105895. “Monovalent-selective cation exchangers as oral sorbent therapy” SR Ash et. al. Filed Jan 12, 2004
- U.S. Patent No. 6,409,699 “CONTINUOUS FLOW-THROUGH PERITONEAL DIALYSIS (CFPD) METHOD WITH CONTROL OF INTRA PERITONEAL PRESSURE” by SR Ash, Assignee: Fresenius Medical, Feb, 2002.
- U.S. Patent No. 6,190,349 “Splittable multiple catheter assembly and methods for inserting the same” by SR Ash, AJ Madison, and TM Schweikert, Assignees: HemoCleanse, Inc. and Medical Components, Inc., February 20, 2001.
- U.S. Patent No. 6,042,561. “NON-INTRAVASCULAR INFUSION ACCESS DEVICE” by SR Ash and EM Janle, March 28, 2000.
- U.S. Patent No 5,947,953. “SPLITTABLE MULTIPLE CATHETER ASSEMBLY AND METHODS OF INSERTING THE SAME” by SR Ash, AJ Madison, and TM Schweikert, September 7, 1999.
- U.S. Patent No. 5,919,369. “HEMOFILTRATION AND PLASMAFILTRATION DEVICES AND METHODS” by SR Ash, July 6, 1999.
- U.S. Patent No. 5,906,978. “METHOD OF IRON DELIVERY TO A PATIENT BY TRANSFER FROM DIALYSATE” by SR Ash, May 25, 1999.
- U.S. Patent Application 09/237,476. “SILICA-CONTAINING SORBENT SUSPENSIONS AND TREATMENTS USING SAME” by SR Ash, filed January 26, 1999.
- U.S. Patent No. 5,536,412. “Hemofiltration and Plasmafiltration Devices and Methods” by SR Ash, July 16, 1996.
- Des. 370,531. “Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Implanter” by SR Ash and JA Navis, June 4, 1996.
- U.S. Patent No. 5,476,444. “Specialized Perfusion Protocol for Whole-Body Hyperthermia” by NG Keeling, SR Ash, RB Truitt, and JA Guzman, December 19, 1995.
- U.S. Patent No. 5,322,519. “Foldable Catheter for Peritoneal Dialysis” by SR Ash, June 21, 1994.
- U.S. Patent No. 5,277,820. "Device and Methods for Extracorporeal Blood Treatment" by SR Ash, January 11, 1994.
- U.S. Patent No. 5,002,054. "Interstitial Filtration and Collection Device and Method for Long-Term Monitoring of Physiological Constituents of the Body" by SR Ash and EM Janle, March 26, 1991.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,995,268. "Method and Apparatus for Determining a Rate of Flow of Blood for an Extracorporeal Blood Therapy Instrument" by SR Ash and TG Echard, February 26, 1991.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,914,819. "Eating Utensil for Indicating When Food May Be Eaten Therewith and a Method For Using the Utensil" by SR Ash, April 10, 1990.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,854,322. "Capillary Filtration and Collection Device for Long-Term Monitoring of Blood Constituents" by SR Ash and EM Janle-Swain, August 8, 1989.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,777,953. "Capillary Filtration and Collection Device and Method for Long Term Monitoring of Blood Constituents" by SR Ash and EM Janle-Swain, October 18, 1988.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,661,246. "Dialysis Instrument with Dialysate Side Pump for Moving Body Fluids" by SR Ash, April 28, 1987.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,581,141. "Dialysis Material and Method for Removing Uremic Substances" by SR Ash, April 8, 1986.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,559,039. "Permanently Placed Transcutaneous Access Device to Blood Vessels" by SR Ash and GM Kaufman, December 17, 1985.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,498,902. "Catheter Guide" by SR Ash, GC Wolf and R Bloch, February 12, 1985.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,413,988. "Short-Tubing Set Gravity Powered Peritoneal Cycler" by HE Handt and SR Ash, November 8, 1983.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,403,984. "System for Demand-Based Administration of Insulin" by SR Ash and MP Loeb, September 13, 1983.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,402,694. "Body Cavity Access Device Containing a Hormone Source" by SR Ash and MP Loeb, September 6, 1983.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,387,777. "Calorie Counting Method and Apparatus" by SR Ash, June 14, 1983.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,368,737. "Implantable Catheter" by SR Ash, January 18, 1983.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,348,283. “Reciprocating Dialyzer Having Spacers” by SR Ash, September 7, 1982.
- U.S. Patent No. 4,071,444. "Portable Chemical Reactor for Use as an Artificial Kidney" by SR Ash, PG Wilcox and DP Kessler, January 31, 1978.
Stephen R. Ash, M.D.: Textbook Chapters
- Ash SR. Principles and practice of hemodialysis therapy. In: Feinberg BN, ed. CRC Handbook of Clinical Engineering. (Vol. 1.) Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 1980;177-210.
- Thornhill JA and Ash SR. Current status of hemodialysis in veterinary medicine and the development of the canine animal model for hemodialysis-related disorders in man. In: Ash SR and Thornhill JA, eds. Handbook of Animal Models of Renal Failure. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 1985;1-37.
- Ash SR, Carr DJ, Blake DE and Thornhill JA. The sorbent suspension reciprocating dialyzer for use in peritoneal dialysis. In: Maher JF and Winchester JF, eds. Frontiers in Peritoneal Dialysis. New York: Field, Rich and Associates, Inc., 1986;148-156.
- Ash SR, Bungu ATJ, Regnier FE. Dependence of middle molecular clearance on protein concentration of peritoneal fluid. In: Maher JF and Winchester JF, eds. Frontiers in Peritoneal Dialysis. New York: Field, Rich and Associates, Inc. 1986;56-63.
- Scientific, Technical and Clinical Testing of Implant Materials. New York: Macmillan Publishing, 1986;593-596.
- Ash SR. Peritoneal access devices and placement techniques. In: Nissenson AR and Fine RN, eds. Dialysis Therapy. (2nd edition), Philadelphia: Hanley & Belfus, 1993;23-30.
- Ash SR. Peritoneal access devices. In: Daugirdas JT and Ing TS, eds. Handbook of Dialysis. (2nd edition), New York: Little, Brown and Co., 1994;274-300.
- Ash SR, Nichols WK. Placement, repair and removal of chronic peritoneal catheters. In: Gokal R and Nolph KD, eds. Textbook of Peritoneal Dialysis. The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1994;315-333.
- Ash SR, Carr DJ, Diaz-Buxo JA. Peritoneal access devices. Hydraulic function and biocompatibility. In: Nissenson AR, Fine RN, and Gentile DE, eds. Clinical Dialysis. Norwalk, CT: Appleton & Lange, 1995;295-321.
- Ash SR. Peritoneal access devices for intraperitoneal chemotherapy. In: Sugarbaker PH, ed. Peritoneal Carcinomatosis: Principles of Management. The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996;387-413.
- Ash SR, Daugirdas JT. Peritoneal access devices. In: Daugirdas, Ing, Blake (eds). Handbook of Dialysis, (3rd edition) Philadelphia. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2000:309-332.
- Ash SR. Peritoneal access devices and placement techniques. In: Nissenson AR and Fine RN, eds. Dialysis Therapy. (3rd edition), Philadelphia. Hanley & Belfus, Inc., 2001;45-50.
- Ash SR. Peritoneal access and its complications. IN. Horl WH, Koch M, Lindsay RM, Ronco C, Winchester JF, eds. Replacement of Renal Function by Dialysis (5th edition) The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004; 231-257.
- Ash SR. Peritoneal Access Devices and Placement Techniques. In: Nissenson, AR, Fine RN, eds. Handbook of Dialysis Therapy. 4th Ed. 2008. 111-135.
- Ash SR. Interventional Nephrology: Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Procedures . In: Lerma, EV, Berns JS, Nissenson AR, Fine RN, eds. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Nephrology & Hypertension. McGraw Hill, 2009. 529-539.
- Ash SR. Indications, Contraindications, and Complications of Peritoneal Dialysis in Acute Renal Failure. In: Ronco C, Bellomo R, Kellum JA, eds. Critical Care Nephrology. 2nd Ed. Elsevier Saunders, 2009. 1459-1467.
- O’Neill WC, Wasse H., Asif A., Ash SR. Diagnostic and Interventional Nephrology. In Floege J, Johnson RJ, Feehally J, eds. Comprehensive Clinical Nephrology. 4th Ed.Elsevier Saunders, 2010. 1043-1052.
- Ash SR, Daugirdas JT. Peritoneal access devices. In: Daugirdas, Ing, Blake (eds). Handbook of Dialysis, (4th edition) Philadelphia. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006.
- Ash SR, Agarwal A. Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters Designs and Overview of Placement Techniques. ASDIN Core Curriculum for Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Procedures. American Society of Diagnostic and Interventional Nephrology, 2010: 3-30.
- Ash SR, Agarwal A. Definition of Peritoneal Catheter Complications and Proper Function. ASDIN Core Curriculum for Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Procedures. American Society of Diagnostic and Interventional Nephrology, 2010: 31-39.
- Ash SR. Indications, Contraindications, and Complications of Peritoneal Dialysis in Acute Renal Failure. In: Ronco C, Bellomo R, Kellum JA (eds): Critical Care Nephrology (2nd Edition) Philadelphia. Elsevier Saunders, 2009: 1459-1467.
- Ash SR. Peritoneal Access Devices and Placement Techniques. In: Nissenson AR and Fine RN (eds). Handbook of Dialysis Therapy (4th Edition). Philadelphia. Elsevier Saunders 2008, 111-135.
- Li PKT, Chow KM, Ash SR. History of Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters. In: Ing TS, Rahman MA, Kjellstrand CM (eds). Dialysis: History, Development and Promise. New Jersey. World Scientific, 2012 561-568.
- Roberts M, Lee DBN, Ash SR, Loke G and Ku G. Sorbent Dialysis and the Wearable Artificial Kidney. . In: Ing TS, Rahman MA, Kjellstrand CM (eds). Dialysis: History, Development and Promise. New Jersey. World Scientific, 2012 561-568.
- Ash SR. Tunneled Catheter Designs and the Placement Conundrum. In: Asif A, Agarwal AK, Yevzlin AS, Wu S, Beathard GA (eds). Interventional Nephrology. New York, McGraw Hill, 2012 319-334.
- Ash SR, Narayan R, Agarwal AK, Crabtree JH. Operative Considerations for Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter. In: Yevzlin AS, Asif A, Salman L (eds). Interventional Nephrology, Principles and Practice. Springer, New York, 2014 293-317.
- Li PK, Chow KM, Ash SR. History of Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters. Todd S. Ing, Mohamed A. Rahman, Carl M. Kjellstrand editors. Dialysis: History, Development, and Promise. World Scientific 2012. Pp 561-568.
- Ash SR, Narayan R, Agarwal A. Operative Considerations for Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter. A. Yevzlin et. al. eds. Interventional Nephrology. Springer Science 2014, chapter 32.
Stephen R. Ash, M.D.: Journal Publications Peer-Reviewed
Sorbent Based Dialysis Systems – BioLogic-HD System, HemoCleanse-SHD System, Oral Sorbents
- Sinclair A, Babbs CF, Griffin DD and Ash SR. Roux-Y intestinal bypass for administration of sorbents in uremia. Kidney Int Suppl 13(88):S153-S159, 1978.
- Sinclair A, Griffin DD, Voreis and Ash SR. Sorbent binding of urea and creatinine in a Roux-Y intestinal segment. Clin Nephrol 11(2):97-104, 1979.
- Ash SR, Barile RG, Thornhill JA, Sherman JD, and Wang N-HL. In vivo evaluation of calcium-loaded zeolites and urease for urea removal in hemodialysis. Trans Am Soc Artif Inter Organs 26:111-115, 1980.
- Wang N-HL, Kessler DP and Ash SR. Mass transfer characteristics of a sorbent-based reciprocating dialyzer. Chem. Eng. Commun 5(5):347-365, 1980.
- Ash SR, Barile RG, Wilcox PG, Wright DL, Thornhill JA, Dhein CR, Kessler DP, and Wang N-HL. The sorbent suspension reciprocating dialyzer: a device with minimal sorbent saturation. ASAIO J 4(1):28-40, 1981.
- Barile RG, Wang N-HL, Blake DE, Belcastro PF, Gupta S, Regnier FE, Thornhill JA, Kessler DP, and Ash SR. A reciprocating, single-needle hemodialyzer with bidirectional flow of sorbent suspension. Artif Organs 6(3):267-279, 1982.
- Badylak S, Ash SR, Thornhill JA, Carr DJ. Doppler ultrasonic detection of particulate release during hemodialysis with cellulose hollow-fiber and sorbent suspension reciprocating dialyzers. Artif Organs 8(2):220-223, 1984.
- Davidson GW, Ash SR, et al. Assessment of biomaterials as components of a reciprocating dialyser during canine dialysis. Biomaterials 5(4):227-233, 1984.
- Ash SR, Barile RG, Wilcox PG, Wright DL, Thornhill JA, Dhein CR, Kessler DP and Wang N-HL. The sorbent suspension reciprocating dialyzer: a device with minimal sorbent saturation. ASAIO J 4:28-40, 1984.
- Winchester JF and Ash SR. Hemoperfusion for uremia: past, present, future. Kidney Int Suppl 17:S127-S130, 1985.
- Ash RS, Carr DJ, Baker K, Schultz TW and Reynolds LO. Automatic priming, blood flow control, and rinsing during single access hemodialysis. Trans Am Soc Artif Inter Organs 31:499-503, 1985.
- Ash SR, Carr DJ, and Blake DE. Sorbent chemicals in hemodialysis and medicine. Proc Materials Research Society on Biomedical Materials Boston, 1987.
- Ash SR, Baker K, Blake DE, Carr DJ, Echard TG, Sweeney KD, Handt AE and Wimberly AL. Clinical trials of the BioLogic-HD - automated single access sorbent-based dialysis. ASAIO Trans 33(3):524-531, 1987.
- Ash SR, Blake DE, Carr DJ, Baker K and Echard TG, The BioLogic-HD: hemodialysis simplified. Proc Intl Symposium Artif Organs pp. 263-277, 1986.
- Koszuta JJ, Carter JM and Ash SR. Effect of ethanol perfusion on creatinine removal in a Roux-Y intestinal segment. Intl J Artif Organs 14(7):417-423, 1991.
- Ash SR, Carr DJ, Sullivan TA. Sorbent suspension reactor for extracorporeal detoxification in hepatic failure or drug overdose. ASAIO J 2004 Nov-Dec;50(6):lviii-lxv. Review.
- Ash SR. Sorbents in Treatment of Uremia: A Short History and a Great Future. Semin Dial. 2009 Nov-Dec;22(6):615-22
- Ash SR, Singh B, Lavin PT, Stavros F, Rasmussen. A phase 2 study on the treatment of hyperkalemia in patients with chronic kidney disease suggests that the selective potassium trap, ZS-9, is safe and efficient. Kidney Int. 2015 Feb 4.
Sorbent Suspension Dialysis System; the Biologic-DT® System, HemoTherapies Liver Dialysis Unit™
Drug Overdose – Journal Articles
- Ash SR. Treatment of acute hepatic failure with encephalopathy: a review. Int J Artif Organs 14(4):191-195, 1991.
- Ash SR, Blake DE, Carr DJ, Carter C, Howard T, Makowka L. Neurologic improvement of patients with hepatic failure and coma during sorbent suspension dialysis. ASAIO Trans 37(3):M332-M334, 1991.
- Ash SR, Blake DE, Carr DJ, Carter C, Howard T and Makowka L. Clinical effects of a sorbent suspension dialysis system in treatment of hepatic coma (the BioLogic-DT). Int J Artif Organs 15(3):151-161, 1992.
- Ash SR, Carr DJ, Blake DE, Rainier JB, Demetriou AA, Rozga J. Effect of sorbent-based dialytic therapy with the Biologic-DT on an experimental model of hepatic failure. ASAIO J 39(3):M675-M680, 1993.
- Ash SR, Hemodiabsorption in treatment of acute hepatic failure and chronic cirrhosis with ascites. Artif Organs 18(5):355-362,1994.
- Ash SR, Hemodiabsorption in the treatment of acute hepatic failure. ASAIO J 40(1):80-82, 1994.
- Wilkinson AH, Ash SR, Nissenson AR. Hemodiabsorption in treatment of hepatic failure. Journal of Transplant Coordination 8:43-50, 1998.
- Ash SR. Letter to the Editor. Artif Organs 22(6):518-519, 1998.
- Ash SR. Overview of the treatment of fulminant hepatic failure. 2000 UpToDate, Burton Rose Editor, uptodate.com.
- Ash SR, Sullivan TA, Carr DJ. Sorbent suspensions vs. sorbent columns for extracorporeal detoxification in hepatic failure. Ther Apher Dial 2006 Apr; 10(2):145-53.
- Carpentier B, Ash SR. Sorbent-based artificial liver devices: principles of operation, chemical effects and clinical results. Expert Review of Medical Devices, November 2007, 4(6): 839-861.
- Shu F, Parks R, Maholtz J, Ash SR, Antaki JF. Multimodal Flow Visualization and Optimization of Pneumatic Blood Pump for Sorbent Hemodialysis System. Artif Organs. 2009 Apr, 33(4):334-45.
- Shihab-Eldeen AA, Peck GE, Ash SR, Kaufman GM. Evaluation of the sorbent suspension reciprocating dialyser in the treatment of overdose of paracetamol and phenobarbitone. J Pharm Pharmacol 40:381-387, 1988.
- Ash SR, Blake DE, Carr DJ. Increasing selectivity of chemical removal from blood by pre-loading charcoal of the BioLogic-DT. American Filtration Society 7:329-332, 1993
- Ash SR, Blake DE, Carr DJ, Rainier JB, Gingrich CH, Truitt RB. Selective chemical removal from blood by a sorbent suspension dialysis system (Biologic-DT). American Filtration Society 7:325-328, 1993.
- Ash SR, Levy H, Akmal M, Mankus RA, Sutton JM, Emery DR, Scanlon JC, Blake DE, Carr DJ. Treatment of severe tricyclic antidepressant overdose with extracorporeal sorbent detoxification. Adv Ren Replacement Therapy 9(1):31-41, 2002.
- Ash SR, Caldwell CA, Singer GG, Lowell JA, Howard TK, Rustgi VK. Treatment of acetaminophen-induced hepatitis and fulminant hepatic failure with extracorporeal sorbent-based devices. Advances in Renal Replacement Therapy 9:42-53, 2002.
Sorbent Based Pheresis; the BioLogic-DTPF System™
Liver Failure – Journal Articles
Sepsis – Journal Articles
- Ash SR, Blake DE, Carr DJ, Harker KD. Push-pull sorbent-based pheresis for treatment of acute hepatic failure: The BioLogic-detoxifier/plasma filter System. ASAIO J 44(3):129-139, 1998.
- Ash SR, Knab WR, Blake DE, Carr DJ, Steczko J, Harker KD, Levy H. Push-pull sorbent-based pheresis and hemodiabsorption in treatment of hepatic failure: preliminary results of a clinical trial with the BioLogic-DTPF System. Therapeutic Apheresis 4:218-228, 2000.
- Steczko J, Bax KC, Ash SR. Effect of hemodiabsorption and sorbent-based pheresis on amino acid levels in hepatic failure. Int J Artificial Organs 23:375-388, 2000.
- Ash SR. Powdered Sorbent liver dialysis and pheresis in treatment of hepatic failure. Therapeutic Apheresis 5(5):404-416, 2001.
- Ash SR. Extracorporeal blood detoxification by sorbents in treatment of hepatic encephalopathy. Advances in Renal Replacement Therapy 9:3-18, 2002.
- Levy H, Ash SR, Knab WR, Steczko J, Carr DJ, Blake DE. Systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) treatment by powdered sorbent pheresis: the BioLogic-Detoxification Plasma Filtration System. ASAIO J 44(5):M659-M665, 1998.
- Steczko J, Ash SR, Blake DE, Carr DJ, Bosley RH. Cytokines and endotoxin removal by sorbents and its application in push-pull sorbent-based pheresis: The BioLogic-DTPF System. Artif Organs 23:310-318, 1999.
- Ash SR, Steczko J, Levy H, Blake DE, Carr DJ. Treatment of systemic inflammatory response syndrome by push-pull powdered sorbent pheresis: A Phase 1 clinical trial. Therapeutic Apheresis 5 (6):497-505, 2001
- Peter AT, Ash SR, Steczko J, Turek JJ, Blake DE, Carr DJ, Knab WR, Bosley RH. Push-pull sorbent-based pheresis treatment in an experimental canine endotoxemia model: preliminary report. Intern J Artif Organs 22:177-188, 1999.
Whole Body Hyperthermia; BioLogic-HT System, ThermoChem System
Hyperthermia – Journal Articles
- Steinhart CR, Ash SR, Gingrich C, Sapir D, Keeling GN, Yatvin MB. Effect of whole body hyperthermia on AIDS patients with Kaposi’s sarcoma: a pilot study. J Acquired Deficiency Syndromes and Human Retrovirology 11(3):271-281, 1996.
- Ash SR, Steinhart CR, Curfman MF, et al. Extracorporeal whole body hyperthermia treatments for HIV infection and AIDS. ASAIO J 43(5):M830-M838, 1997.
Peritoneal Dialysis and Access: T-Fluted Catheter, Ash Advantage
PD – Journal Articles
- Ash SR and Manfredi F. Directed biopsy using a small endoscope: thoracoscopy and peritoneoscopy simplified. New Eng J Med 291(26):1398-1399, 1974.
- Thornhill JA, Ash SR, Dhein CR, Polzin DJ and Osborne CS. Peritoneal dialysis with the Purdue Column Disc Catheter. The Minnesota Veterinarian 20(2):27-33, 1980.
- Ash SR, Johnson H, Hartman J, Granger J, Koszuta J, Sell L, Dhein C, Blevins W, and Thornhill JA. The column disc peritoneal catheter: a peritoneal access device with improved drainage. ASAIO J. 2:109-115, 1980.
- Thornhill JA, Dhein CR, Johnson H and Ash SR. Drainage characteristics of the column disc catheter: a new chronic peritoneal access catheter. Proc. Clin Dial Transplant Forum 10:119-125, 1980.
- Dhein CR, Thornhill JA, Chiosi C, Ash SR. Protein and bacterial rejecting filters for peritoneal dialysis. Kidney Int 19(1):145, 1981.
- Ash SR, Wolf GC and Block R. Placement of the Tenckhoff peritoneal dialysis catheter under peritoneoscopic visualization. Dialysis & Transplantation 10(5):383-386, 1981.
- Ash SR, Wimberly AL and Mertz SL. Peritoneal dialysis for acute and chronic renal failure: an update. Hosp Practice 18(1):179-210, 1983.
- Ash SR, Handt A and Block R. Peritoneoscopic placement of the Tenckhoff catheter - further clinical experience. PD Bulletin 3(1):8-12, 1983.
- Ash SR, Streuwing JD. Clinical trials of the column disc peritoneal catheter (Lifecath™). PD Bulletin 3(2):77-80, 1983.
- Ash SR, Horswell R, Heeter EM, Block R. Effect of the Peridex Filter on peritonitis rates in a CAPD population. PD Bulletin 3(2):89-93, 1983.
- Ash SR, Slingeneyer A and Schardin K. Peritoneal access using the column disc catheter. Perspectives in Peritoneal Dialysis 1(2):9-11, 1983.
- Winchester JF, Ash SR, Bousquet G, Rakowski TA, Barnard WF, Heeter E and Haley S. Successful peritonitis reduction with a unidirectional bacteriologic CAPD filter. Trans Am Soc Artif Inter Organs 29:611-616, 1983.
- Thornhill JA, Hartman J, Boon GD, Riviere JE, Jacobs D, Ash SR. Support of an anephric dog for 54 days with ambulatory peritoneal dialysis and a newly designed peritoneal catheter. Am J Vet Res 45(6):1156-1161, 1984.
- Ash SR. Peritoneal access devices: a search for biocompatibility. Int J Artif Org 7(3):115-118, 1984.
- Ash SR. Effect of peritoneal access devices on the incidence of peritonitis. Trans Am Soc Artif Inter Organs 30:686-690, 1984.
- Handt AE, Ash SR. Longevity of Tenckhoff catheters placed by the VITEC™ peritoneoscopic technique. Perspectives in Peritoneal Dialysis. 30-32, 1984.
- Ash SR. Biocompatibility and hydraulic function of Tenckhoff and LifeCath™ catheters. Peritoneal Dialysis Bulletin - Supplement. S103-S106, 1984.
- Ash SR, Winchester JF. New devices, solution composition and alternatives. Peritoneal Dialysis Bulletin - Supplement. S118 - S120, 1984.
- Suki WN, Ash SR, et al. Multicenter evaluation of a bagless CAPD system. ASAIO Trans 32(1):572-574, 1986.
- Ash SR. Chronic peritoneal dialysis catheters: effects of catheter design, materials and location. Seminars in Dialysis 3(1):39-46, 1990.
- Ash SR, Janle EM, Hucker EM. A comparison of peritoneal dialysance (D) during CAPD, intermittent peritoneal dialysis (IPD) and tidal PD (TPD) in awake normal dogs. Adv Perit Dial 7:21-25, 1991.
- Ash SR. A break-in period is unnecessary. Seminars in Dialysis 5(3):199-201, 1992.
- Gokal R, Ash SR, et al. Peritoneal catheters and exit-site practices: toward optimum peritoneal access. Perit Dial Int 13(1):29-39, 1993.
- Ash SR. Who should place peritoneal catheters? A nephrologist's view. Nephrol News Issues 7(5):33-34, 1993.
- Contreras MR, Ash SR, et al. Peritonitis due to Moraxella (Branhamella) catarrhalis in a diabetic patient receiving peritoneal dialysis. South Med J 86(5):589-590, 1993.
- Ash SR, Janle EM. T-fluted peritoneal dialysis catheter. Adv Perit Dial, 9(1):223-226, 1993.
- Gokal R, Ash SR, et al. Peritoneal catheters and exit-site practices: toward optimum peritoneal access. Peritoneal Dialysis Int 13:29-39, 1993.
- Ash SR, Mertz SL. Peritoneal dialysis for acute renal failure: the safe, effective, and low-cost modality. Advances in Ren Replace Ther 2(2):160-163, 1995.
- Contreras MR, Ash SR, Swick SD, Grutzner J. Peritonitis due to Moraxellla (Branhamella) catarrhalis in a diabetic patient receiving peritoneal dialysis. Southern Medical Journal 86:589-590, 1993.
- Ash SR, Bever SL. Peritoneal dialysis for acute renal failure: the safe, effective, and low-cost modality. Adv Ren Replace Ther 2(2):160-163, 1995.
- Ash SR. Peritoneal access devices for intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Review. Cancer Treat Res. 82:387-413, 1996.
- Ash SR, Janle EM. Continuous flow-through peritoneal dialysis (CFPD): comparison of efficiency to IPD, TPD, and CAPD in an animal model. Peritoneal Dialysis Int 17(4):365-372, 1997.
- Ash SR. Bedside peritoneoscopic peritoneal catheter placement of Tenckhoff and newer peritoneal catheters. Advances in Peritoneal Dialysis 14:75-79, 1998.
- Roberts M, Ash SR, Lee DBN. Innovative techniques for increasing peritoneal dialysis efficiency: flow-thru and regeneration. ASAIO J 45(5) 372-378, 1999.
- Gokal R, Alexander S, Ash S, et al. Peritoneal catheters and exit-site practices: toward optimum peritoneal access: 1998 update. Perit Dial Int 18:11-33, 1998.
- Ash SR, Bever SL. Burying peritoneal catheters. Peritoneoscopy Today 1(2):3-5, Spring 1998.
- Ash SR. Peritoneal catheter designs and placement methods; they do make a difference. Contemporary Dialysis & Nephrology February 2000, pp. 24-29.
- Ash SR. Peritoneal dialysis in acute renal failure of adults: the safe, effective and low-cost modality. Contrib to Nephrology, Vol. 132, pp. 210-221, 2001.
- Ash SR, Sutton JM, Mankus RA, Rossman J, de Ridder V, Nassvi MS, Ross J. Clinical trials of the T-Fluted (Ash Advantage) peritoneal dialysis catheter. Advances in Renal Replacement Therapy, V 9, No 2 (April), 2002: pp 133-143 -
- Ash SR. Chronic peritoneal dialysis catheters: procedures for placement, maintenance, and removal. Semin Nephrol 2002 May; 22(3):221-36. Review.
- Ash SR. Chronic Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters: Overview of design, placement, and removal procedures. Seminars in Dialysis. V 16, No 4 (July) 2003:pp. 323-334.
- Gallatin LL, Couetil LL, Ash SR. Use of Continuous-flow peritoneal dialysis for the treatment of acute renal failure in an adult horse. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2005 Mar 1;226(5):756-9, 732.
- Ash SR. Chronic peritoneal dialysis catheters: Challenges and design solutions. Int J Artif Organs 2006; 29:85-94.
- Ash SR, Agarwal A. Peritoneal Dialysis Description and Overview of Placement Techniques. In Wu S, editor. ASDIN Core Curriculum for Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Procedures. ASDIN 2010, 3-30.
- Ash SR, Agarwal A. Definition of Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Complications and Proper Function. In Wu S, editor. ASDIN Core Curriculum for Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Procedures. ASDIN 2010, 31-40.
- Ash SR, Sequeira A, and Narayan R. Imaging and Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters. Semin Dial. 2017 Jul;30(4):338-346
Dialysis – Articles
- Ash SR, Thornhill JA, Dhein CR and Rebar AH. Dialytic Support of dogs with clinically occurring renal failure: a realistic model of acute renal failure in man. Clin Exp Dial Aphersis 6(1):25-44, 1982.
- Ash SR and Millikan M. Optimizing tobramycin therapy in a hemodialysis patient. Int J Artif Organs 5(4):279-280, 1982.
- Lowrey SJ and Ash SR. Direct blood pressure recording during acute hemodialysis: a simplified method. Nephrol Nurse 4(4):28-32, 1982.
- Ash SR. The resurrection of home hemodialysis. Contemporary Dialysis & Nephrology 8(9):34-35, 1987.
- Ash SR. Editorial. An explanation for uremic hypothermia. Int J Artif Organs 14(2):67-69, 1991.
- Ash SR, Gloeckner PJ, Barnett SL. Lack of removal of calcitriol during hemodialysis procedures. J Am Soc Nephrol 8(10):1587-1591, 1997.
- Rosenbaum BP. Ash SR, , Carr DJ. Predicting dialysate sodium composition in sorbent dialysis using single point and multiple-dilution conductivity measurement. ASAIO J 2005 Nov-Dec 51(6) , 754-60.
- Rosenbaum BP. Ash SR, Wong RJ. Thompson RP, Carr DJ. Prediction of hemodialysis sorbent cartridge urea nitrogen capacity and sodium release from in vitro tests Hemodial Int. 2008 12 (2) , 244–253.
- Bernard Canaud, Jörg Vienken, Stephen Ash, Richard A. Ward and on behalf of the Kidney Health Initiative HDF Workgroup. Hemodiafiltration to Address Unmet Medical Needs ESKD Patients. CJASN CJN.12631117; published ahead of print March 6, 2018, doi:10.2215/CJN.12631117
- Richard A. Ward, Jörg Vienken, Douglas M. Silverstein, Stephen Ash, Bernard Canaud and on behalf of the Kidney Health Initiative HDF Workgroup. Regulatory Considerations for Hemodiafiltration in the United States.. CJASN CJN.12641117; published ahead of print March 6, 2018, doi:10.2215/CJN.12641117
Venous Access; IV Therapy; IFAD™, IVAD®, Ash Split Cath®, Citrate Lock
- Tsuchida RK, Hillberry BM, Ash SR, Belcastro PF. A computerized IV fluid delivery system with automatic rate adjustment. Amer. J. Intravenous Therapy & Clinical Nutrition 10(7):19-26, 1983.
- Kaufman GM and Ash SR. Intravenous transcutaneous vascular access device. Trans Am Soc Artif Intern Organs 30:458-462, 1984.
- Ash SR and Carr DJ. Fluid dynamics, basic concepts, and computer interfaced electronic rate control instruments: advantages and applications. In: Turco S, ed. The Sourcebook for IV Therapy. IVAC Corporation, 1985.
- Ash SR. The perils of IV potassium: are they overrated? In: Turco S, ed. Parenterals. 1986.
- Ash SR and Carr DJ. Understanding fluid dynamics when choosing I.V. control systems. In: Turco S, ed. Parenterals. Feb/March 1987.
- Roberts RK, Hillberry BM, Thornhill JA, Blevins WE and Ash Sr. The difficulties of drawing blood from venous catheters: a hydraulic model. J Parenter Sci Technol 41(1):3-8, 1987.
- Mankus RA, Ash SR, Sutton JM. Comparison of blood flow rates and hydraulic resistance between the Mahurkar Catheter, the Tesio Twin Catheter, and the Ash Split Cath. ASAIO J 44(5):M532-534, 1998.
- Ash SR, Mankus RA, Sutton JM, Criswell RE, Crull CC, Velasquez KA, Smeltzer BD, Ing TS. Concentrated sodium citrate (23%) for catheter lock. Hemodialysis International 4:22-31, 2000.
- Ash SR. The evolution and function of central venous catheters for dialysis. Seminars in Dialysis 14:416-424, 2002.
- Ash SR, Mankus RA, Sutton JM, Spray M. The Ash Split Cath as long-term IJ access: hydraulic performance and longevity. J Vascular Access 3:3-9, 2002.
- Ash SR. Ash Split Catheter for vascular access in apheresis. Ther Apher Dial. 2003 Apr;7(2):150-2.
- Ash SR. Chronic Central Venous Catheters for Dialysis and the Ash Split Cath Catheter: Rationale and Clinical Experience. Contrib Nephrol. 2004;142:128-52 Review.
- Peter AT, Steczko J, Ash SR. Catheter related bacteremia in rats: A Preliminary report on the effect of methylene blue coated catheter, Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 44, March 2006, pp183-188.
- Ash SR, Daugirdas JT. Peritoneal Access Devices. In: Daugirdas J, Blake P, Ing T, eds. Handbook of Dialysis. 4th Ed. 2007. 356-375.
- Ash SR, Fluid Mechanics and Clinical Success of Central Venous Catheters for Dialysis – Answers to Simple but Persisting Problems. Semin Dial, 20(3) (May-June) 2007 pp. 237-256.
- O’Neill WC, Wasse H, Asif A, Ash SR. Diagnostic and Interventional Nephrology In: Feehally J, Floege J, Johnson RJ, eds. Comprehensive Clinical Nephrology 3rd Ed, 2007. 941-951.
- Ash SR. Catheter Locks for Central Vein Catheters for Dialysis; Current and Future. Quest DaVita’s Clinical Journal for Nephrologists 2008 July (14), 18-23
- Moran JE, Ash SR, the Clinical Practice Committee. Locking Solutions for Hemodialysis Catheters; Heparin and Citrate-A Position Paper by ASDIN. Semin Dial. Vol 21(5) (September-October) 2008, 490-492
- Ash SR. Improved Designs and Coatings Offer Better CVC’s for Dialysis. J. Vasv Access; 5th Annual Controversies in Dialysis Access. Vol 9(3) 2008, 219-222.
- Ash SR. Advances in Tunneled Central Venous Catheters for Dialysis: Design and Performance. Semin Dial. Vol 21(6) (November-December) 2008, 504-515.
- Sauer K, Steczko J, Ash SR. Effect of a solution containing citrate/methylene blue/parabens on Staphylococcus Aureus bacteria and biofilm and comparison with various heparin solutions. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009 May; 63(5):937-45.
- Steczko J, Ash SR, Nivens DE, Brewer L, Winger RK. Microbial inactivation properties of a new antimicrobial/antithrombotic catheter lock solution (citrate/methylene blue/parabens). Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009 Jun:24(6): 1937-45.
- Steczko J, Ash SR, Brewer L, Guillem A. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of efficacy of citrate/methylene blue/parabens/IPA solution as a skin disinfectant. J Infect. 2010 Jan;60(1):36-43.
- Ash SR. Advances in Locking Solutions. Endovascular Today. 2010 June 9(6):66-72.
- Maki DG, Ash SR, Winger RK, Lavin P; for the AZEPTIC Trial Investigators. A novel antimicrobial and antithrombotic lock solution for hemodialysis catheters: A multi-center, controlled, randomized trial. Crit Care Med 2011 Vol. 39, No. 4, 613-620.
- Ash SR, Dhamija R, Zaroura MY, Hentschel DM. The StenTec gauge for measuring static intra-access pressure ratio (P(Ia Ratio) ) of fistulas and grafts. Semin Dial. 2012 Jul;25(4):474-81.
- Ash SR, Ugianskis EJ., Pacemaker Wire Central Venous Stenosis and One More Reason to Not Run Central Venous Catheters for Dialysis in Reverse Flow. Semin Dial 2013 Jan-Feb;26(1):E1-4.
- Ash SR. Expanding the meaning of innovation: the "innovative intervention forum" section of seminars in dialysis. Semin Dial. 2013 Sep;26(5):614-5.
- Agarwal AK1, Ash SR2; Principal Investigators of the CentrosFLO Trial. Maintenance of blood flow rate on dialysis with self-centering CentrosFLO catheter: A multicenter prospective study. Hemodial Int. 2016 Oct;20(4):501-509. doi: 10.1111/hdi.12443. Epub 2016 Jun 27.
Clinical Information Computer Systems; SmartChart™
- Mertz SL, Ash SR, and Farrell J. The CNS in the ICU: a bedside notation for nurses. Proc. of SCAMC, p. 577-582, 1982.
- Ash SR. Mertz SL, and Ulrich DK. The computerized notation system: a portable, self-contained system for entry of physicians' and nurses' notes. Proc SCAMC, p. 129-135, 1981, and J of Clinical Engineering, 8:2:147-155, April/June 1983.
- Ash SR. A briefcase computer for patient record in the clinic and hospital. Consultant, 23:5, May 1983.
- Ash SR, Mertz SL, Ulrich DK. The computerized notation system (CNS): a microcomputer system for rapid entry of notes by physicians and nurses. J Med Syst 7(3):193-203, 1983.
- Ash SR and Ulrich DK. Direct entry of patient data to a portable briefcase computer: interface with overview medical database at the office. Proc of SCAMC 350-352, 1983.
- Ash SR. What are the limiting factors in practitioners uses of computers: the key research question. Med Inf (Lond) 9(3-4):268-269, 1984.
- Ash SR and Ulrich DK. The pocket medical record - Do we need a centralized medical database? J of Clinical Engineering 8(4):307-314, 1983.
- Ash SR and Ulrich DK. CNS: A problem-oriented notation system for briefcase computers. Physicians and Computers 1(8):32-40, 1983.
- Ash SR. The physician-computer interface: the major limitation of a digital clinical database. Healthcare Computing & Communication 1(2):42-47, 1984.
- Ash SR. Data can be rapidly fed into computer right at bedside. Cardiology Times 3:4:29, April 1984.
- Ash SR, Handt AE, Ulrich DK, Hrabel D and Wimberly AL. Total Recall™ and Total Control™ in the specialty care unit: a database for the science, practice, and business of medicine Proc of SCAMC p. 796-799, 1984.
- Ash SR, Ulrich DK and Laxton DE. The Total Recall program: a relational office database interface with briefcase computers. Proc of SCAMC, p. 429-432, 1984.
- Ash SR. A review of automated clinical records in nephrology. Can clinical records problems be solved? Contemporary Dialysis & Nephrology, Parts I through V, January-April and November 1986.
- Ash SR and Ulrich DK. Portable and desktop microcomputers for patient care charting. J Med Syst 10(4):361-373, 1986.
- Ash SR and Ulrich DK. The SmartChart program: a patient information system for better chart maintenance. Resident & Staff Physician 33(1):132-142, 1987.
- Ash SR, Barnett ME, Sutton JM, Lowrey S and Ulrich DK. Evolution of the medical record format during two years’ use of an open-format microcomputer charting system. J Clin Eng 16(4):337-348, 1991.
- Gray DL, Ash SR, Jacobi J, Michel AN. The training and use of an artificial neural network to monitor use of medical in treatment of complex patients. J Clin Eng 16(4):331-336, 1991.
- Ash SR. Computer-based charting (Part I). Physicians & Computers 14(7):24-35, 1997.
- Ash SR. Computer-based charting (Part II). Physicians & Computers 14(8):16-35, 1997.
Chemical Monitoring and Diabetes; Capillary Filtrate Collector™
- Newhouse VL, Hoover ML , Ash SR. The detection of blood impurities using ultrasound Doppler. Ultrason Imaging 2(4):370-380, 1980.
- Janle-Swain E, Thornhill JA, Carter JM, Hinsmann E, Jackson HD, Ash SR. Case study of a diabetic dog with chronic membranous glomerulopathy treated with continuous intraperitoneal insulin infusion. Am J Vet Res 43(11):2044-2049, 1982.
- Janle-Swain E, Thornhill JA, Carter JM, Hinsman E, Jackson HD, Swain S, Ash SR. Improvement in kidney function with continuous intraperitoneal insulin infusion in a diabetic dog with chronic membranous glomerulopathy. Diabetic Nephropathy 2:16-22, 1983.
- Janle-Swain E, Turek J, Van Vleet J, and Ash SR. Use of a capillary filtrate collector for monitoring glucose levels in diabetics. ASAIO Trans 33(3):336-340, 1987.
- Janle-Swain E, Clark T, Ash SR. Use of an ultrafiltrate sampling probe to control glucose levels in a diabetic cat. Case Study (Bioanalytical Systems, Inc.) March 1992.
- Ash SR, Poulos JT, Rainier JB, Zopp WE, Janle-Swain E, Kissinger PT. Subcutaneous capillary filtrate collector for measurement of blood glucose. ASAIO J 38(3):M416-M420, 1992.
- Ash SR, Rainier JB, Zopp WE, Truitt RB, Janle EM, Kissinger PT, Poulos JT. Subcutaneous capillary filtrate collector (CFC) for measurement of blood chemistries. ASAIO J 39(3):M699-M705, 1993.
- Ash SR, Zopp WE, Truitt RB, Janle EM, Kissinger PT. Subcutaneous ultrafiltration fibers for chemical sampling of blood: the capillary filtrate collector (CFC). American Society of Filtration 7:316-319, 1993.
- Janle EM, Ash SR, Zopp WE, Kissinger PT. Determination of glucose in microliter samples of in vivo ultrafiltrates and microdialysates using amperometric flow injection analysis with an enzyme reactor. Current Separations 12(1):14-17, 1993.
- Janle EM, Ash SR. Comparison of urea nitrogen and creatinine concentrations in dog plasma and subcutaneous ultrafiltrate samples. Current Separations 12(4):169-171, 1994.
- Gea Leegsma-Vogt, Elsa Janle, Stephen R. Ash, Kor Venema, Jakob Korf. Utilization of in vivo ultrafiltration in biomedical research and clinical applications. Life Sci. 2003 Sep 5;73(16):2005-18.
- Gordon DM, Ash SR. Lack of Correlation of Glucose Levels in Filtered Blood Plasma to Density and Conductivity Measurements. ASAIO J 55(3):227-30, 2009.
Nephrology/General and Interventional
- Ash SR, Cuppage FE. Shift toward anaerobic glycolysis in the regenerating rat kidney. Am J Pathol 60(3):385-402, 1970.
- Ash SR. Letter: Measurement of thickness of pleural effusions using an impedance probe: an aid in thoracentesis. Ann Intern Med 82(3):380-381,1975.
- Ash SR, Cuppage FE, Hodes ME, Selkurt EE. Culture of isolated renal tubules: a method of assessing viability of normal and damaged cells. Kidney Int 7(1):55-60, 1975.
- Takayasu M, Duske N, Ash SR, Freidlander FJ. HGMS studies of blood cell behavior in plasma. IEEE Trans on Magnetics 18(6):1520-1522, 1982.
- Ash SR, Jacobi J. A nomogram for drug dosage in renal failure based on mean plasma concentrations. Int J Artif Organs 6(3):101-104, 1983.
- Ash SR, Bungu Z, Regnier F. Anion exchange chromatography and double-diffusion cells in the study of middle molecules. Kidney Int 24(2):250-255, 1983.
- Larson EA…Ash SR, et al. Phosphate binding gels: balancing phosphate adsorption and aluminum toxicity. Kidney Int 29(6):1131-1135, 1986.
- Takayasu M, Kelland DR, Minervini JV, Friedlaender FJ, Ash SR. Feasibility of direct magnetic separation of white cells and plasma from whole blood. SNMS Proceedings (3rd International Symposium on New Magneto-Science), 475-483, November 1999.
- Bem DS, Sherman JD, Ash SR, Marte JC, Willis RR, Braun R, Muldoon BS. Ammonium removal with a novel zirconium silicate. ASAIO J 47:151, 2001.
- Ash SR. Overview of diagnostic and interventional techniques in nephrology. Hemodialysis Today 3(1):16-17, 2001.
- Ash SR. Artificial Organs: a new chapter in medical history. ASAIO J 2006 Nov-Dec;52(6):e3-9.
- Ash S, Vienken J. Report on the 2009 ASAIO–IFAO Congress: Third Biennial Congress of the International Federation for Artificial Organs and the 55th Annual Conference of ASAIO, Dallas, TX, USA, May 28–30, 2009. Artif Organs 33(9) 774-75.
- Ash S, Vienken J. Report on the ASAIO–IFAO Congress, 55th Annual meeting of the American Society of Artificial Organs and third biennial congress of the International Federation for Artificial Organs, Dallas, Texas, May 28–30, 2009. ASAIO J 2009 Nov-Dec;55(6):532-3.
- Ash, R. Vascular Disease Management Interviews Stephen R. Ash, MD, FACP Vascular Disease Management. 2010 Apr 7(4): 89-94
- Takayasu M, Ash SR. Highly Portable Continuous Plasma Separator for Whole Blood. Plasma Science & Fusion Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Report No. PSFC/JA-11-1, Jan 2011.